Looking for an exciting Friday Night Activity? Why not register for our Grade 6 Dodgeball Tournament in March!
Teams of 6 will compete against each-other in 3 minute rounds to battle for the Ultimate Title. Participants are welcome to sign up as a team or as individuals.
All participants will receive a participation acknowledgement.
The tournament will run 6:00-8:30 PM on Friday, March 4th. Four different, yet fast-paced variations of dodgeball will be played throughout the night. Instructions will be explained on the day of the tournament but are also available below.
If you are interested in joining us for this challenge, you can click below to download our dodgeball registration form and rules.
Be sure to drop by your home branch to hand in your form and register.
Alternatively, you can contact your Branch youth team for more information.
Bring your game face and we will see you there!
Calling all Grade 6!
We will be hosting our second Calgary Flames Grade 6 member tournament.
Registration for this event will Open on the 23th of November 2015, You can call your branch and register with member services or email your branches youth team. .
Course Code #107177
Must Be Available to play! Transport arrangements can be made from your home branch.
Please complete the medical form and return to your Branch Youth Team no later than Wednesday the 28th of October 2015!
Summer sees a change to operations within YMCA Calgary Childcare Centres and Child Minding Areas. And, this change might be just what you are looking for to enhance your child’s summer experience.
Childcare and Child Minding each offer unique experiences – read on to learn more and to see if you would like to explore available options further.
YMCA Childcare and Child Minding – where kids play and learn!
Childcare: Licensed childcare for children aged 19 months – 6 years
Temporary openings are available for 1/2 or full days over the summer months. This option is available due to turnover within the centre as older children leave in preparation for kindergarten and new children have not yet started. All days may not have availability.
This may be an option for families who need a few days or a week of care for their child over the summer. It may also be a fit for a child attending a 1/2 day of camp and then requiring childcare for the balance of the day.
As always, full-time permanent spaces in our centres will be filled from our existing waitlists.
Availability is limited and inquiries should be directed to each centre’s Childcare Director:
Eau Claire – Margaret Ferriss T 403-781-1666
Saddletowne- Merle Clarke T 403-537-2722
Shawnessy – Trudy Halvorsen T 403-254-3211
Child Minding: Short term care for your child aged 6 weeks – 10 years
This is the place for kids to be while their parent/guardian is using the facility. Equipped with toys, games and caring adults who love to spend time talking and playing with children you can feel confident that your child is well cared for while you are furthering your own health and wellness goals.
During the summer all of our areas see a decrease in usage which can open up opportunities for casual bookings. Member children 6 weeks – 35 months are FREE while a minimal charge applies to both older member children and non-members.
Visit or contact the Child Minding Area at your branch today:
Crowfoot YMCA T 403-241-4618
Eau Claire YMCA T 403-781-1669
Saddletowne YMCA T 403-537-2724
Shawnessy YMCA T 403-254-3217
Summer is one of the most active times of the year for many children and families. Outdoor activities increase as the days get longer. It is important for people to take the proper precautions with the rising temperatures and sun exposure throughout the day. Being active in the heat can be fun, but it can also pose a danger if you do not allow your body sufficient time to cool down. Here are a few ideas to beat the heat this summer:
- Drink plenty of water: It is important to stay hydrated. Make sure to carry a full water bottle with you at all times.
- Shower or bathe frequently in cool water: It will help you stay cool by lowering your body temperature and making you feel refreshed.
- Make sure to wear Sunscreen: Wear sunscreen as it helps keep ultraviolet rays from damaging the skin. Dressing in light, loose clothing that covers bare skin is another sun-safe move.
- Have a family swim: Find a local pool or splash pad to spend the afternoon at while keeping cool. Perhaps one of the local YMCA Calgary pools?
- Take advantage of the cooler times of the day for activities: Early mornings and later evenings are the best times for strenuous activity.
- Enjoy a cool treat: Ice cream, popsicles or freezies are enjoyable at any age. Or, try frozen fruit snacks such as grapes and bananas.
- Look for inside or shade activities: Arts and crafts, reading or a favourite family board game are a great way to take a break from the mid-day heat.
- Learn how to make a “do it yourself slip & slide“
- Don’t have a sprinkler at home? Make a “bottle blaster Sprinkler out of a 2L pop bottle” in a few easy steps
Summer fun for the entire family!
The Shawnessy Child Development Centre has some very happy children. With summer fast approaching and outdoor play time lengthening, staff decided it was time to clean and revamp the outdoor play yard with some new toys and equipment. After all of the current equipment was removed from the play yard to be cleaned, the children had a few things to say about where the climbers and play house had disappeared to:
- “It was sucked up into the ground!”
- “The shed ate the climbers and slide! It is going to burst!”
- “Someone took them and put them in the grass area. We will need to talk to someone about that.”
- “Now we can ride the bikes all over and not worry about anything else.”
- “What is going on here? Trudy will have to figure this out.”
Equipment has now been returned to the play yard, along with some new structures for creative adventures – take a look!
On Monday June 8, we are unable to process any credit card or debit payments as we implement a software upgrade to serve you better.
During this period, drop-in fees will not be charged but picture ID will be required for access. Please ask our staff about options for program registration and membership purchase.
Thank you for your patience as we work to better serve our community!
- Blog - Featured
- Camp Chief Hector YMCA
- Camp Riveredge YMCA
- Community YMCA
- Grade 6 Membership
- Gray Family Eau Claire YMCA
- Melcor YMCA at Crowfoot
- Quarry Park Child Development Centre
- Remington YMCA in Quarry Park
- Saddletowne YMCA
- Shawnessy YMCA
- South Health Campus YMCA
- Success Story
- Success Story - Featured
- YMCA News